Willem Marinus van Rossum CSsR (1854-1932)

Ecclesiastical career

1896, Dec. 24
Consultor to the Congregation of the Holy Office

1902, Dec. 25
Promoter of the Opus Perseverantiae Fidei

1904, March 25
Consultor to the Pontifical Commission for the Codification of Canon Law

1911, Nov. 27
Cardinal-deacon with the titular church San Caesareo in Palatio

1911, Nov. 30
Member of the Congregation of the Religious

1911, Nov. 30
Member of the Congregation of the Index

1911, Dec. 21
Member of Pontifical Commission for Biblical Studies

1912, Jan. 19
Appointed to the Congregation for the affairs of the Latin and Oriental Rite

1912, May 15
Member of Commission of Cardinals for the l'Opera della Preservazione della Fede in Roma

1912, Sept. 12-15
Papal Legate to the 23th International Eucharistic Congress in Vienna

1913, April 13
Member of the Congregation of the Holy Office

1914, Jan. 13
President of the Pontifical Commission for Biblical Studies

1915, Dec. 6
Cardinal-priest, titular church of Santa Croce in Gerusalemme

1915, Oct. 1
Major Penitentiary (until 1918, March 11)

1917, Sept. 15
Member of the Pontifical Commission for the interpretation of the Code of Canon Law

1918, March 12
Prefect of the Sacra Congregatio de Propaganda Fide

1918, March 22
Member of the S. Congregation “Pro Ecclesia Orientali”

1918, March 22
President of the Pontifical Seminary of SS. Peter and Paul for the foreign missions

1918, May 19
Ordination as a bishop by Benedict XV; Titular Archbishop of Caesarea in Mauretania

1919, March 11
Member of the S. Congregation for Seminaries and Universities

1922, Dec. 11
Cardinalium Collegii Camerario (for one year)

1924, July 2
Papal Legate to the 27th International Eucharistic Congress in Amsterdam, 22-27 July

1931, Jan. 30
Member of the S. Congregation of the Rites

1932, Aug. 18-21
Papal Legate to the Scandinavian Eucharistic Congress in Copenhagen

1932, Aug. 30
Died in Maastricht; buried on September 3 at Wittem

Main sources:AAS; H. Wolf (Hrsg.), Prosopographie, Band 2, Paderborn 2005, 1277

Design: Frank G. Bosman